Table of Contents
General Tips:Did you know that you can:
[ Top ]
- Cut and paste up to 300 equipment ID's into the input box from
another application such as a spreadsheet or word processor?
- Enter an equipment number range such as BNSF10001-10300 to see
characteristics on up to 300 consecutively numbered cars?
- Cut and paste the "Text" output into another application?
- Import the "Comma Delimited" output directly into a spreadsheet or
Entering Equipment ID's:You may enter up to
300 equipment ID's at a time. Separate equipment ID's with a space, comma,
semi-colon, tab, or carriage return. Do not use quotes. The initial may be
separated from the number by one or more spaces.
Note that you may enter one initial followed by multiple
numbers. Equipment Characteristics will use the previous initial with each
of the numbers that follow.
Entering Number Ranges:You may also enter a
range of equipment numbers if the equipment you wish to find falls in
consecutive sequence. For example, entering bn 1-10 will issue a find on
BN 1, BN 2, BN 3 ... BN 10.
When entering data in this manner, do not place spaces between the
numbers and the hyphen. This will be interpreted as an error. You may,
however, mix and match range entries with non-range entries. For example,
the following are all valid entries:
Using this type of range entry is still subject to the
300 ID limit. The Equipment Characteristics application will let you know
if you have entered too many ID's.
[ Top ]
Cut and Paste Inputing:The equipment ID
input area may be populated by pasting data into it from another
application such as Lotus 1-2-3, Word, or Notepad. Simply highlight and
copy equipment IDs from any application that supports cut and paste. This
will place the equipment IDs in the system clipboard. Then, paste them
into the input box as follows:
The contents of the clipboard will
then be pasted into the Equipment ID input box.
- Click the mouse on the input box to bring the box into focus.
- Choose <Paste> from the <Edit> menu or press
Please make sure that no additional data came in with the paste (i.e.
quotes, apostrophes, or other text and numbers).
[ Top ]
Output Mode:The following output modes are
available from this page:
- Normal: This is the default mode. It looks the nicest when
printed and is easiest to read; however, it cannot be cut and pasted
into other applications. Use this mode when you wish to print or just
view the equipment information.
- Text: This mode uses a monospace font which is good when you
want to cut and paste the equipment information into another document
(like Word or AmiPro).
- Comma: This mode outputs comma-delimited data. The output can
then be saved as a .TXT file using the <Save As> option from your
browser's <File> menu. The .TXT file can then be imported into
Lotus 1-2-3, Approach, or any other database or spreadsheet program that
supports comma-delimited formats.
[ Top ]
Printing Output:The Equipment
Characteristics report may be printed directly from your internet browser
by selecting <Print> from the <File> menu.
You may also cut and paste the report from your browser to any other
application that supports cut and paste. To cut and paste the report,
follow these instructions:
- Set the print mode to Text on the Equipment Characteristics
- On the report, highlight the area you wish to cut out by dragging
the mouse over it while pressing down the left mouse button.
- Choose <Copy> from the <Edit> menu or press
<Ctrl>+<Insert>. This will copy the highlighted data to the
- Start your application and press <Shift>+<Insert> to
paste the contents of the clipboard into your application.
[ Top ]
[ Table of
Contents ] [ Entering
Equipment ID's ] [ Cut and
Paste Inputing ] [ Output
Mode ] [ Printing
Back to Equipment