The accurate reporting of railcar weight on shipping waybills is critical to ensuring that your shipment moves safely and efficiently on the BNSF network. Weight inaccuracies can present safety risks to BNSF personnel that are handling trains as well as operational issues resulting from resources, including crew and power, that are misaligned.
We remind customers to ensure that car weight, for both loads and empties, is being accurately reported. Please adhere to the following steps to avoid inaccurate weight/tonnage reporting:
- Thoroughly inspect the car(s) prior to providing weight on shipping instructions
- Remove any remaining residue in the car(s)
- Classify appropriately a car(s) that is not being used or should be bad-ordered
- Submit shipping instructions prior to scheduled car pick up
- Confirm car(s) status, either loaded or empty, via our tracking tool
Customers can utilize the Equipment Characteristics application, found here and also in the suite of tools available in the BNSF Customer Portal, to confirm their railcar’s load limit(s) when traversing on either just BNSF lines, or multiple lines.
If you determine that a railcar has been released with a weight inaccuracy, please contact BNSF Customer Support (888-428-2673) immediately so that any adjustments can be made as quickly as possible.
We appreciate your assistance and cooperation in addressing weight discrepancies. If you have any questions, please contact your BNSF representative.
The safe and efficient movement of your freight is important to us. Thank you for choosing BNSF Railway as your transportation service provider.