Permits/Real Estate

How do I obtain a permit?

To better facilitate the needs of prospective occupants of its railroad system, BNSF Railway Company (BNSF) has partnered with Jones Lang LaSalle Brokerage, Inc. (JLL), a company committed to providing professional Real Estate Services. This web site is intended to provide you with all the information you should need to apply for a permit to access BNSF's property through JLL.

Please select the appropriate application below. The following documents are in PDF format (Get Adobe® Reader®).

Instructions and Application Description
Pipeline or Wire Line Installation of a pipeline for water, natural gas, sewage, oil or petroleum, etc. Electric supply line for voltage, circuits or electricity. Communication Line for fiber optic, phone or CATV.
Temporary Occupancy Geotechnical study of the soil, survey, inspection or construction access. Laying cable along tracks or on property to test for seismic activity.
Private Crossing Private crossing for vehicular/ pedestrian/ bicycle access over BNSF tracks.
Roadway Surfacing/Resurfacing Surface/resurface/overlay existing road (not due to road widening).
General License Culvert, drainage ditch or storm water fall-out. Encroachments, ex. fence.
House or Structure Crossing Low-clearance vehicles and those in excess of state DOT height/weight standards. Ex. houses, boilers or transformers.
Assignment Selling property or a name change.
Environmental Soil sample or topographical survey for contamination, installation of monitoring wells.


How do I know if this is BNSF property?

You can check with the local tax assessor or courthouse records.
For informational purposes Railroad maps are available to assist with your project references. These maps provide the width of the railroad corridor as well as other information. To obtain a copy of a map, please contact You will be contacted regarding payment.

How long does it take to get a permit?

On average, it takes 4 weeks for a permit to be sent to you for your execution if there are no engineering issues or changes involved.

Once I return the executed permit to you, how long will it be before I can perform the work?

If the executed agreement is returned with all required fees and insurance you should receive a fully executed agreement from Jones Lang LaSalle Brokerage, Inc. in about a week. Also, before entering the property, you must give at least 10 days advance notice to the Roadmaster.

If I am applying for more than one (1) permit at a time, what is the processing fee?

There is a $800 processing fee for each application.

What are the specifications for installations on BNSF property?

Please see the Utility Accommodation Manual  regarding standard design specifications.

If I need to perform maintenance or repair to an existing crossing/line, what do I need to do?

If you have an existing permit with BNSF Railway Company and are performing maintenance or repair work, you must contact the Roadmaster and have a copy of your permit before entering BNSF property. The Roadmaster's contact information is located on your permit. If you are unable to locate the contact information you may contact the respective JLL Manager.



CALL 800-832-5452

To report a vehicle stalled on a crossing or to report false activation of crossing gates and lights, call 800-832-5452 immediately.Crossing signal